Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Now I've Gone and Done It

After seeing that I was planning to use the Kinect to get into shape, my wife was more than happy to oblige. I got home from work to find this waiting for me. :-)

Looks like I'm in for a full workout. An elastic resistance band and a heart monitor combine with the Kinect system to get your heart rate moving and your body burning calories.

The setup of my profile was a little drawn out - the more accurate in height/weight, age, etc. you are, the more tailored and effective the workout will be. However, do we really need to be so particular about the branding on my avatar's (not-so-) coordinated workout outfit??

Anyways, you're asked to choose which personal trainer will guide you on your path to fitness - one targets strength and conditioning, whereas the other focuses on nutrition and aerobics. I laughingly chose the strength trainer. About halfway through the first workout set I stopped laughing, as my knees were screaming at me from running in place (high-knee soccer sprinting). After picking myself off of the floor (yay, reverse crunches), I attempted to change my personal trainer to the aerobic-focused one. In the process, I deleted the workout program I had just customized. At that point, I decided to call it a night.

However, I did manage to get a workout. Over 100 calories burned, and I got my heart rate up to 150bpm - with an average over 120. Considering I'm "at rest" at most other times of the day, I'll call that a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment